Friday, August 7, 2009

Some Tatting from the Past




Before my grandma Jenalyn passed she gave me a few things that I treasure dearly. Among those are her christening dress and 4 baby bonnets. One of those bonnets is tatted. She would have been 100 years old this April. I know this was used when she was a baby and that she was the youngest child, so it might be a little over 100 yrs old.





You can see that the ties at the picots have started coming apart, along with some of the motifs.




My plan is to figure out the pattern on this and make a replica.




I treasure this little piece of tatting from the past and hope that I will be able to make one just like this for the baby daughter I hope to have.



A special thanks to my sweet blond big boy for modeling the bonnet. I love you, My Super Helper!

5 comments:

  1. That bonnet is just beautiful! Love the cute little model, too! ;) Give him a BIG (((HUG))) from Aunty TattingChic.

    I'm so glad you posted about it! I hope you do make the reproduction of it!

    Oh, hey! Guess what!?! I'm no longer ǝpısdn uʍop¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful keepsake! I can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful that you have that pretty piece of tatting in your family AND even more special, that little blonde boy willing to model for mommy!

    You might check out the Antique Library.

    http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/index.html

    The odds of finding the exact bonnet would be EXTREMELY slim, but there ARE bonnet patterns. I just marvel at the intricate designs that some people were able to produce with THOSE (to me) VERY DIFFICULT TO FOLLOW instructions!

    I am happiest with a diagram as well as written instructions. I have even started color coding some picots with a highlighter so I remember how big to make them.

    Enjoy your day!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from Funoldhag! Thank you so much for visiting my Pieces of the Past. I have enjoyed reading through your blog and think it's always wonderful when people are interested in and want to preserve things from our pasts. Good for you in tatting! I crochet and have knit a little bit but no tatting. The results are always so beautiful, too, it's odd that it doesn't become more popular. You are a good story teller, also.
    :-) Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. TattingChic, big hug given. Hope you don't mind I threw in some kisses. lol I hope I will be able to make the reproduction too.

    Diane,
    I can't wait to see my version either. I am actually very excited to make a bonnet!

    Ann,
    Wow! I spent hours looking at antique tatting patterns. They look sooo complicated!

    Carol,
    I am so glad you stopped by and left a comment! I just love your blog! And I feel very complemented that you think I am a good story teller!

    ReplyDelete